Friday 11 December, 2009

Welcome Intel Core i7 and Windows 7 !!!

If I take DATEDIFF of the current post and the last post on this blog, it would come around 488 days. I know, it has been long silence partly due to my carelessness attitude towards maintaining the blog and some work reasons too.

So I am dedicating this blog post to lovely thing called Windows 7. I just bought Dell XPS Studio 16 (with Intel Core i7 processor and ATI Radion 4670). The installed OS was Windows 7. After using it for around a day, I must say this is the best thing came out from MS camp after .NET.

Do you see some rhythm here !! Core i7 and Windows 7 :). I just don’t see, I can feel it too… Intel made fabulous advances in processor design. Just imagine this tiny thing has 4 cores and each core is capable to run two threads (Hyper-Threading tech.). See the below snap of the task manager,

image

If you are hardware junkie like me, you will feel the heart pounding at seeing 8 CPUs phew !!!

It took me around total 20 to 25 mins for all the tasks listed below,

  1. Booting PC with Windows 7 CD
  2. Starting fresh installation of Windows 7
  3. Dropping the current partition and creating 2 different partitions
  4. Installing OS
  5. Selecting localization information.
  6. Installing necessary drivers
  7. Formatting the unused space, which was 100 GB. You won’t believe, it just took 30-40 seconds to format 100 GB with NTFS !!!

One diversion here,

If you have Dell XPS Studio 1645 and you have reinstalled the OS then you might get warning for unrecognized “base system device” in device manager of Windows 7 control panel. The reason is Ricoh Card Reader. You need to install device driver from Dell Utilities CD for Ricoh Card Reader and that warning gone.

See the beauty of Windows 7,

image

Somebody said, beauty lies in person’s eye. I would say for Windows 7 it is not correct, it is really a beauty.

No comments: